The engineering focus of Innovate Mound consists of early preliminary engineering (EPE) and preliminary engineering (PE) activities prior to the design-build procurement. A basic configuration to support procurement phase work activities will be created in order to allow the design-builder to complete preliminary engineering activities including released for construction (RFC) documents prior to construction of road improvements.
Engineering tasks will include, but are not be limited, to:
- Geotechnical investigations
- All appropriate permits and/or certifications
- Traffic signals
- Intelligent transportation systems and emerging mobility
- Pavement design
- Roadway design
- Municipal utility
- Non-motorized facilities
Critical to the successful completion of this innovative project is our commitment to procuring the services of contractors and consultants qualified to deliver services on time and on budget. This project will require the services of a design-builder, consultants, vendors, and suppliers. Procurement contracts will be advertised through MDOT’s Innovative Contracting Unit.
- Request For Qualifications (RFQ) issuance/shortlisting based on Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) responses;
- Request For Proposals (RFP) issuance to shortlisted proposers with contract awarded to lowest bid responsive proposer
- Risk transfer to a single contractual party (design-builder)
- Schedule acceleration due to design and construction phase overlap
- Leverage private sector innovation
Contractors, consultants and vendors desiring to bid on contracts on the Innovate Mound project must be prequalified with MDOT’s as a prerequisite to submitting work proposals.